Cream of Mushroom Soup is my husband’s comfort food. He suffers from migraines and for some reason this is what he typically wants to eat while enduring a migraine. When he and I first met he had about 20 cans of soup in his pantry. Now I make his Cream of Mushroom Soup from scratch. As you will see from this easy recipe, it really only takes about 15 minutes to make, and so worth it!
This recipes serves 4.
2 Tbsp Butter
12 oz. Mushrooms
4 Tbsp Sweet Onion or Shallot, chopped
1/4 cup Flour
2 cups Chicken Broth (or veggie broth)
1/2 cup Cream
1 1/2 cups Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp of Sherry
Parsley, chopped, for garnish
Clean the mushrooms with a mushroom brush or damp paper towel.
Slice the mushrooms.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and onion.
Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the onions are translucent.
Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions.
Stir so that the flour is not lumpy while slowly adding the chicken broth.
Add the cream and milk.
Bring to a simmer.
Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Add Sherry and stir.
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
You can adjust this recipe in the following ways:
- Don’t want to use butter – substitute olive oil
- No cream – use milk, or buttermilk
- Don’t want to use dairy – use rice milk
- No onion or shallots – Substitute some leeks or a little celery (diced super fine)
- No flour – use 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- No Sherry – use Marsala Wine (or leave it out completely)
- I used Crimini mushrooms, but any type of mushroom works beautifully